Hi everyone! It's going to be 75 degrees in Kansas City today, and I'm getting excited for my FLOWERS. We usually go to the Kansas City Home Show and Flower, Lawn & Garden Show every year to drool over things we can't afford and smell dirt and flowers in March. I was thrilled this year to be offered free tickets to go -- we'll be there next Sunday! And I have a free pair of tickets to give away to one of my local readers.
Here are all the formal details:
The original Kansas City Home Show and Flower, Lawn & Garden Show returns on March 22- 24 to Bartle Hall. Founded by the Home Builders Association of Kansas City, the Home Show has been a tradition for sixty five years. Bartle Hall will be teeming with hundreds of exhibitors to showcase new opportunities and choices for homeowners to get a jump on spring home and garden projects.
Headliner on the Spaces Stage will be Lonni Paul, HGTV Design Star Finalist and designer to celebrities. She is a contributor to the Style Network's Giuliana & Bill show and designed their Brentwood home. Lonni is known for championing purity, clean lines and a refined modern vision with understated elegance. She also created an infant and children's furniture collection called PetitNest, that she co-created with actress Tiffani Amber Thiessen (yes, from Saved by the Bell and the original 90210). Lonni will present Celebrity Style Within Reach, a down-to-earth look at how homeowners can take ideas from celebrity design, incorporate them and not break the bank. This event will be held at 2:00 pm on Saturday, March 23 and Sunday, March 25.
Jennifer Bertrand, HGTV Design Star Winner, will emcee the Spaces Stage.
Other Notable Presenters:
- Sarah Susanka, architect and innovator, will be a featured speaker, presenting her powerful "Not So Big for Remodeling & Building New" message on the Spaces Stage. Sarah has authored nine best-selling books including The Not So Big House, The Not So Big Life, Not So Big Remodeling. Sarah’s presentation is scheduled for 6:00 pm on Friday, March 22 and 1:00 pm Saturday, March 23, followed by a book signing.
- Brian Santos, "The Wall Wizard" best-selling author of Painting Secrets, Faux Finish Secrets, and Wallcovering Secrets, will give three presentations at The Wizard's Workshop. This 25 year contractor, chemist and educator steps through the real science, magic and myths of decorating your home.Painting Secrets, his first presentation, is geared for the audience to learn the real tips, tricks and techniques of home improvement. This will be held at Noon on Friday, March 21, Saturday, March 22 and Sunday, March 23. He will also present Colors for Tomorrow to show a glimpse of the hot new colors and cool old styles for the 21st century at 3:00 pm on Friday, March 21, Saturday, March 22 and Sunday March 23. He will also present Quiz The Wiz!, where audience members will have a chance to ask questions about the walls around you, to help magically demystify the most common myths, mistakes and misconceptions about the surfaces around us at 5:30 pm on Friday, March 21 and 6:00 p.m. on Saturday, March 22.
Garden Chatter Corner
● Jonah Nelson, from Family Tree Nursery, will emcee the Garden Chatter Corner speaking on "Tired Trees: Should they stay or should they go?"
● Dr. Alan Stevens, Director of the K-State Horticulture Research & Extention Center the Extension Specialist for commercial floriculture. He developed the Prairie Star list of recommended varieties and will speak about Prairie Star Flowers.
● Laurel Sears is a professional colorscaping and floral designer, and will speak about Thematic Gardens – Xeric, Japanese and Meadow Gardens.
● Vaughn Fletcher will share his expertise on colorful combinations and new plantings for 2013. Vaughn has served on the Medal of Excellence Committee for Greenhouse Grower Magazine.
- KC Bricklab, which is the LEGO® user's group for the Kansas City region, will host Kids' Corner. They will have custom LEGO® creations (called MOC's in LEGO®, which stands for My Own Creations) on display including a replica of the Seville Tower on the Country Club Plaza. Children of all ages who attend the Home Show are invited to come to the Kids' Corner booth and design their own LEGO® creations with the help of KC Bricklab "Buddy Builders". Enter to win a large LEGO® building set.
- Award winning presenter, Lt. Kelli Bailiff, recognized locally and nationally for her work with missing and victimized children, will speak about educating families on child safety at 1:30 daily on the Wall Wizard’s stage, which is near Kids’ Corner. She is the on-air host of Child Search, on KMBC-TV. Ch. 9 news.
● Family Favorites - Wayside Waifs adoptable pets & The Bee Guy (Koelzer Bee Farm-Booth #5125) - working bee hives.
● Landscape and Garden Displays - Walk through a custom-built log cabin. Walk through a large custom garden built by The Water Garden Society featuring ponds and a Japanese Garden.
● Infinity Lights Exhibit - self-assemble lampshades made up of quadrilateral, interlocking pieces that can be assembled in a variety of ways.
● People's Choice Awards - Cast your ballot for the best landscape or garden design at the Home Show to win a substantial outdoor tree and planting.
● Storm Shelters & Safe Homes Displays (newly designed safe rooms and above-ground shelters)
● Register to Win - 72” HDTV from Direct Buy, Electrolux front-loading Washer & Dryer valued at $2700 from Ferguson, Window Treatments from Blind Corners & Curves, Landscaping & More
For information and tickets, go to www.kchomeshow.com, or pick up tickets at Hen House, Sun Fresh or Bank of Blue Valley. Tickets are $8 in advance and $10 at the door. Children 16 and under are free. On Sunday make a donation to Harvesters of 5 non-perishable items or $5 for a 2-for-1 admission. Show hours are Friday, March 22, 10 AM to 8 PM, Saturday, March 23, 10 AM to 8 PM and Sunday, March 24 from 10 AM to 6 PM.
This event is presented by the Home Builders Association of Greater Kansas City and the presenting sponsor is MattressFIRM. For information go to www.kchomeshow.com.
Who wants to win a pair of tickets to dream? Leave a comment below. Every comment counts as an entry, enter as often as you like. I will close comments at 4:30 pm Kansas City time on Thursday, March 21, pick a winner and work with my contact to get the etickets delivered in time to go Friday-Sunday! Welcome, spring!
UPDATED: Congratulations, Average Jane! We'll be in contact to give you your tickets.